Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prinsepia sinensis - what the heck is it?

Posted by laylaa 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 16:15

I saw Prinsepia sinensis on the One Green World catalog and don't know this plant at all, can't find a lot on it. Does anyone grow it? I can not find any indication that it is invasive, which is important to me, or any solid info on what ph it likes. I'm interested in the Prinsepia for birds. It's not often I do non-natives but this one looks really interesting.

of course I was on the site ordering goumi, a great non-native bird plant. :D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prinsepia sinensis - what the heck is it?

I planted one last year and to my surprise saw flower buds yesterday, I got mine from One Green World and just put it in the ground and it seems to be doing fine so far, I also couldn't find any real info about this plant so time will tell.

o

I ordered one as well, so I guess we'll just both have to come back in a couple of years and let everyone know. It looked pretty interesting, I very rarely impulse buy plants.

o

I ordered one from One Green World last spring as well. I'll say one thing about it, it's the most precocious shrub I've ever seen here in my zone. Right now, when the grass is barely beginning to green, pussy willows and crocus are the only things in bloom, and daffodils are only poking about 2 to 3 inches above the ground, this dumb thing is leafing out quite noticeably. This is about 2 to 3 weeks earlier than anything else leafs out (the earliest thing I've found before this is Tartarian honeysuckle). I hope that we don't have a late artic snap that freezes it back, but I suspect it's a tough plant that would bounce back from it if it did happen.

Dennis
SE Michigan

o

Dennis - loved your description. You'll have to let us know if it flowers and berries, please!

o

A quick Google search yielded this info:
http://www.virtualplanttags.com/vpt.asp?pID=31869&co=410087&cID=671&pr=1

Fruit:
Color: Red, Orange, Purple
Season(s): Late Summer, Early Fall
[Michael) Dirr says: "Red, cherry-like, 1/2" long drupe that ripens in July, August and September and is effectively digested by birds. Color is actually more orange to purple than red. Supposedly edible, contains large amounts of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). Less sugar than most cultivated fruit plants."

And this one:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Prinsepia+sinensis

Edible Uses
Fruit - raw or cooked. Red and juicy. A pleasant sour taste, they can be eaten out of hand or made into jellies. The plum-shaped fruit is about 15mm long with one large seed.

o

How are they doing now? Was wanting to get an idea the taste of the fruit and amount of fruit your getting after a few years?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here