Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indirect sunlight

Posted by shrewbeer (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 21, 09 at 18:23

I'm looking for some ideas on what to plant in indirect sunlight. I have a spot that gets barely any sun (north side of house up against foundation). And I refuse to plant anything that I cannot eat. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Roots and leaf crops

Most root and leaf crops can grow in partial shade--these tend to be the cool-weather crops. Fruiting crops require full sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: HarvestToTable.com

o
RE: Indirect sunlight

ok - that's not 'indirect light' - that's a foundation planting in almost full shade.

your list of edibles is pretty limited - the only one that comes to mind is sweet woodruff, which is used to flavor may wine.

other than that - you're talking prime turf for lily of the valley, there...too bad you can't expand that directive to include plants that can be used on the body as well as in it.

o

Here's a link to a similar thread in the fruit forum, there are a few that should work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade fruit

o

I have several rhubarb in the shade touching the house, also many gooseberries, black currants, and red currants.

Also, don't laugh, but I grow stinging nettles, they prefer shade, but yes, they sting. They are VERY nutritious, look them up. I make soups in the spring/summer out of them (cold soup with egg and sorrel for example).

O, and french sorrel could work for you too, I have it in a shady spot, it doesn't like full sun in my yard. Sorrel grows very juicy leaves in the shade of my house, starting before the snow melts all the way until frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here