Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carress_gw

I bought 'vine peaches' seeds

Chrissy Chris
19 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm a novice gardener who goes at it like a veteran. I've never heard of these, and I am hoping they'll be a close second to having my own peach tree.

I also bought strawberry seeds.. My father told me the rabbits will get them before they even ripen...

I'm thinking of growing them both right in fornt of my house which has a big planter(?) type thing made of stone. I figure the proximity may intimidate the rabbits.. I could also cover the strawberries with a mesh, I think.

Any hints, warnings, tips??

Comments (6)

• lucky_p
    19 years ago

caress,
    The 'vine peach' is a small melon, in the same group with the cantaloupe(Cucumis melo). While I *guess* they're edible, they've been grown for hundreds of years mainly for their aroma - used in olden times to cover/mask body odor when bathing was not a regularly-performed ritual - ladies often carried them in their pockets to mask their own scent.
    I doubt that the fruits(melons) will taste like a peach, though they may resemble one in size and coloration.

• breezyb
    19 years ago

I agree. I assume you bought these "vine peaches" from a less than reputable nursery. To check them out, do go to this site: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/ to check them out.

If you are even remotely serious about growing edible landscaping plants, your best bet is really going to be some RESEARCH - either by gardening books or good websites.

Don't take a chance of either poisoning yourself or wasting a lot of time & effort on plants that aren't going to end up what you expect them to be.

• jkirk3279
    19 years ago

No, they're supposed to taste more like Mangos than Peaches.

And yes, they're edible.

Your note of caution is well advised, however. My research last year turned up the interesting factoid that there are varieties of bush referred to as "wintergreen" that are in fact poisonous.

Only Gaultheria Procumbens is true Wintergreen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vine Peach

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

Yes the rabbits birds etc. will love your strawberries cover them with "mesh" as you say and cover them with the mesh slightly off the ground or the birds will peck through the mexh (get through the holes).... :)

• Chrissy Chris
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm thinking if I stick a bunch of sticks in the ground, around and within the bed... maybe I can find something plastic shaped like a lowercase t so it can support the mesh... I'm formulating a plan.

thanks for the tips folks.

• irishtempr_roadrunner_com
    13 years ago

I make a hoop house (tiny one) over my raised beds, to start stuff early. You can remove the plastic and use mesh or door screen (by the roll) to cover for the rest of the year. I have raised beds, so is easy to attach the poles on. Or you can use the plastic lattice sprips, and they bend over to creat a hoop and stay bent all season. Clear plastic tarps (like as a dollar store, sold by the 50' roll) If you see it, you can make it..!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus