Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hemnancy

Wild salad munchies

hemnancy
14 years ago

I was noticing my Sheep Sorrel is already making nice clumps, I didn't know it got going this early. I've been picking it for salads in moderation. Anyone else picking some wild or weed type plants now for salad?

Below is one of many sites on google about sheep sorrel and other wild greens. I could pick dandelions but don't have many others they list.

Here is a link that might be useful: rawrob

Comments (7)

• linda_schreiber
    14 years ago

Now? No. We've had a warm spell, and the snow is starting to melt, but there will probably be more....

But I am *really* looking forward to the lambs quarter to come, and the purslane.... Especially the purslane. Love it!

• hemnancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Linda, does the purslane grow wild there in Michigan? I once lived in Detroit for a few months, spring was lovely there. I have a lot of trouble growing it here, it gets some kind of leaf miner.

• linda_schreiber
    14 years ago

Yes, purslane is one of the few really welcome 'weeds' here. I let it grow as it wants to unless it is too much in the way of something else.

I'm interested in more about sheep sorrel....

• hemnancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda- Sheep sorrel is a wild weed in my yard, I didn't appreciate it much until last year when I started eating it often in salad. It makes low clumps and eventually blooms, but I was eating it until frost last fall and it is going strong again now. I looked at some reviews and gardeners consider it pesky, invasive, and hard to eradicate. It's good that I like it. It beats trying to get rid of weed grass, etc. that is not edible.

• t-bird
    14 years ago

I am getting some chickweed going to munch on - it's suppose to be incredibly healthy, I got some organic seeds rather then just fetch some weeds from a vacant lot, lol! Never know what it's been exposed to....

If I don't like the taste in salads, will do some green smoothies with it....

I have sorrel and purslane going too.....they are all just sprouted now and I've never had any of them before- really looking forward to the sorrel....I super want to pair that "lemony" tang with some mache!

Also super psyched about sorrel being a super hardy perennial salad green.....does it get any better?

My lemon mint sure acts like a weed, although I planted it on purpose! I love it that when I am out of greens - there it is - a huge carefree patch of the.

• pdxjules
    14 years ago

Any of these greens can go into Pasta Sauces, rice or soup.

I mince Chickweed with garlic, sauteed onion, and add a bunch of garlic chives, and a swirl of olive oil, to make Chickweed Pesto for Pasta every Spring. Even starting from a Canned Spagetti sauce this makes a good dish.

Any pan deglazings, and cooking tool rinsings are saved to become a Soup Stock next. The broth can also be drizzed over whatever meat and veggies are roasting in the oven, to change that dish just a smidge for seasonal interest. It's a good time to enjoy Asparagus as part of meals...so the tougher stem are saved to go into the soup stock.

Naturally Fennel, bay leaves, carrots,spinach - whatever else you have on hand is added too! Meat really is optional, isn't it?

• hemnancy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Putting the tough ends of the asparagus in stock is a good idea. I notice the Borage is coming up now, I may try cooking some this year.