Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All Nasturtiums are edible, right?

Posted by Atillathepun Sunset Z15 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 22:57

Just wanted to check, so that I don't do something dumb, like poison dinner guests.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All Nasturtiums are edible, right?

All nasturtiums are edible, right. Just make sure they don't have any chemical residues on them.

o

I believe that is correct-
I enjoy growing them bcz they are easy to grow, taste good and are colorful-
joanne

o

Well Nasturtium is the genus name for the cresses, water cress, land cress etc. these are edible. The plant commonly called Nasturtium is Tropaeolum majus, and this is edible too, and tastes peppery of course, a little like watercress, which is why they called it nasturtium. There are a lot of Tropaeolum species, and I'm not at all sure that they are all edible. Some of them may indeed be poisonous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropaeolum speciosum

o

As long as you avoid chemicals on or around the plants, they are wonderful in salads. Not only colorful, but quite tasty as well. mix in some chive blossoms, and you will be serving a "gourmet" salad.

o

You can even pickle the seed pods. They're supposed to be very much like crunchy capers. I'd love to try it, but I've never been very successful at growing nasturtiums.

Pamela

o

Is it only the flowers are edible, or is it the whole vine?

o

Leaves too.

o

Stem tips are great in stir-fry. Lovely and peppery and with just the right amount of crunch

Linda

o

Oooooh, the taste of a fresh-picked nasturtium leaf warmed from the sun.....a peppery taste beyond pepper....like neon pepper.....all parts are edible (only if no pesticides are used around it). It is also great in the vitamin and mineral category.....a true taste delight!
firefly

o

Another fun/gourmet thing to do with Nasturtium blossoms is to wash & dry/drain them well, then fill the flowers with a nice seasoned whipped cream cheese filling. Makes for a really unusual, tasty, & smashing-looking appetizer tray or garnish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here