Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tenbabytoes_gw

Growing Strawberries

tenbabytoes
16 years ago

Just wondering if strawberry plants are easy to grow. I have read that they love sandy, acidic soil. I have the worst clay soil and even when I ammend my soil - everything dies eventually due to drainage problems. Should I go ahead and plant strawberries in a pot? Do strawberry plants reproduce? I would love to have a strawberry patch that grows more and more each year for my 3 year old. . help - not good at growing anything!!

Comments (5)

• laughaha
    16 years ago

Hi, this is what I am going to be trying this year. The only difference is that I am going to try the huge plastic barrels/drums that you can get for less than $10.

Jasmine

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Barrel

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

I tried growing them, the grass takes over and then I can never find my plants. Tried growing them in the 'grow bags' or granny socks or whatever they call them, they all died because the water would fly out the bags! So I found a few withered strawberries with seeds, and I planted them in some pots today. If I get plants, I'm just planting them in a big pot on our back porch.

I did spy some strawberry leaves in our lawn, ha ha!

• price403
    16 years ago

I grew up in South Carolina and the soil was hard red clay. If you put some sand and aged manure in the soil it will grow just about anything. Sparkle strawberries grow very well in clay soils. If you put about 8 or 10 layers of newspaper around each plant, the grass will not be a problem. Also put some kind of mulch on it to help hold moisture and keep the soil cool. The plants will produce runners that will produce a new plant when they touch the soil. It helps to pin them to the ground where the plantlets form on the runners. Email me if you need any more information.

• gbebeh
    16 years ago

I have a raised bed garden about 5 X 15. I add manure, compost to the dirt every year. I generally grow tomatoes and an odd zucchini or pepper plant in there.

Last year for fun we threw one strawberry plant in the corner. My daughter and I probably got about 5 or 6 strawberries of the plant. But we had fun. It put out runners and now this year I now have 5 strawberry plants.

I'm going to let them keep putting out runners and see how big my "patch" can get.

I water them pretty frequently as I water my tomatoes alot too.

I'm not a great vegetable gardener but I find the strawberries really easy.

go for it!
    gbebeh

• skinnylegs
    16 years ago

I live in South Jersey with VERY sandy soil, almost to the point of it being beach-like. And about five years ago I put in three strawberry plants. THREE! and each year since they've been multiplying. Now I have a bit of a problem on my hands-- as they come up everywhere! Very weed like. But I do get wonderful big fruits, bigger every year.

If you have clay soil I would recommend growing them in a container. They'll keep coming back year after year (with bigger fruits each year), and you won't have them becoming a pest in your garden either! Good luck!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH