Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voxleo

herbicide damage on grape leaves in so. calif

voxleo
12 years ago

Hi all!

I have a grape vine that is establishing nicely (now that I've sorted out the pruning vocabulary) and this is about to begin year 3 this spring. I have noticed seemingly about the same time of year what appears to be herbicide damage on the leaves, but I do not use any nor do the nearest neighbors. (I will take the gardeners at their word since the weeds seem to be plentiful!!) However,the vine grows on the fence that separates my yard from the neighbors (and there is another vine of some sort that grows well on her side of the fence as well - her yard is lower than ours though by several feet) and she does have a pool in the back yard. Could chlorine/chemical fumes from the pool upkeep be causing similar symptoms on the vine as an herbicide? Or is there some kind of seasonal atmospheric treatment being done over the Los Angeles area that could be affecting it?

It did seem to stop having malformed and crinkled leaves after a while last spring and the leaf health improved as it grew bigger but the new sprouts are looking like some of them have been affected again. Also had a few lovely flower clusters but I have no idea what happened to them since they never became anything.

It seemed that the cherry tomato plants also were affected for a time and they too grow along the fence for support, and comparing pictures on the net to my plants also looks to be herbicide damage rather than disease. Any thoughts?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting