Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please tell me about the north side of the house

Posted by vegangirl z6 VA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 05 at 7:12

I am confused about this. Do you plant really cold-hardy things there because it stays so cold, frozen and not much sun in winter or do you plant things that are more tender and early blooming because you want them to stay dormant longer? The north side of our house gets practically no sun in winter but gets lots of sun in summer. It is also buffeted with strong winter winds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please tell me about the north side of the house

VeganGirl,

Both of the situations you remarked on are correct. The north side of the house is generally the colder side and so you would tend to plant more cold hardy plants. Conversely,
the cold can also be used to your advantage. If you live in an are with late frosts, planting on the north side of the house could keep your plant from flowering to early which would be killed by the frost. In my town of Flagstaff, we have to worry about the late frosts and so I try to plant many fruit trees on the north side of the house to keep them as dormant as long as possible.

I hope this helps.

o

eden, thanks for clarifying that! We have late spring frosts too, up until the end of May, so even though there are peach and apricot varieties that are cold-hardy, the frosts always kill the fruit. We rarely get plums wither. Unfortunately we live in a frost pocket. But we do manage to get apples and pears most years.

o

I have a Daphne odora there that does well. It also has sharp drainage because it is elevated 2 railroad ties above the driveway. Campanula pocharskyana also likes it there, and Cyclamen hederifolia.

o

hemnancy, I have a C. pocharskyana. Maybe I'll get some started there. It would probably make a nice ground cover under the shrubs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here