Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinabluesky

Super Dwarfed Cherry?

carolinabluesky
16 years ago

I finally found a source for a super dwarfed bing cherry.

Has anyone here tried this tree? Offer me any advice?

Comments (9)

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

I don't have any super dwarf or even dwarf cherries, but I do have a standards that I grow. I also have bush cherries too. Advice I would give is cage it to keep deer from eating it to death. Raccoons dug through my cherries and killed the roots, until I put a lot of rocks on the top, then they stopped. Full sun is essential, don't forget to water them frequently, and don't fertilize at all the first year. Is it self pollinating? Many cherries aren't, except for Stella (I think! Or could be Kristin, I can't remember which one it was I planted, ha ha!).

Anyway, hope this helps and hope you get a nice crop in a few years. :) Also protect it from late frosts if you have them...we always seem to get late frosts.

• carolinabluesky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of your good advice! Yes, it is self-pollinating.
    Guess I need to get out the old sheets tonight- the Jet Stream has lost its mind.

• carolync1
    15 years ago

The following thread might give you some information on growing smaller sweet cherry trees. Sweet cherries can be a challenge in the East due to disease pressures not faced in the West. Good luck if you live in the Carolinas. You might want to list your climate zone and region or state in you member information for better advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry tree culture

• carolinabluesky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I am foolish enough to try cherry in NC, zone 7. The reason I chose the superdwarf was because our clay soil wouldn't sustain cherry and I needed to be able to grow it in a container.

I have heard about all the disease possibilities and maybe it will fail. I look at gardening as half experiment and half act of faith. We have to contend with less than ideal soil and broiling humid summers that quickly teach you valuable lessons ( like not all full sun plants are created equal ). Over the years I've had failures and I just try to learn from them. My neighbor laughed at me when last summer I planted my tomatoes in lightly dappled shade. Between record breaking temps and drought, I had the last laugh. I didn't need to constantly water, had no problems with disease and had vines that bore from June until October.

I don't mean to sound preachy but it's the process that I love. I am the first to admit that I have much to learn which is why I do ask for any advice and appreciate it. Sometimes you have to take chances, calculated risks and whatever the result, keep on trying.

• carolync1
    15 years ago

Cherry trees have been a challenge for me even in a hot-summer part of the West (mostly, just getting the trees started). It is important here to paint the trunks of cherry and other fruit trees with cheap white interior latex paint, diluted by half with water.

I think it's great that you're "pushing the envelope", as long as you don't become discouraged when things don't work. Still, if you put your state and climate zone on your member page (similar to the information you gave in the post above) so that it shows with your member name when you post, people will be more likely to give you useful advice.

I've tried lots of things that aren't supposed to work here, too - arctic kiwis, gooseberries, etc. A lot of them haven't worked, a few have. Thought you might be interested to know that "self-pollinating Bing" is actually the variety "Lapins". It's not clear to me whether your tree is Lapins on dwarfing rootstock or a variety distinct from both Bing and Lapins, such as a genetic dwarf.

Here, shadecloth is recommended for tomatoes when July rolls around, and cucumbers grow nicely in quite a bit of shade (though competition from surface-rooting trees is not helpful).

• carolinabluesky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips. The cherry is supposed to be a new genetic dwarf variety. But time will tell on that.

I had never even heard of shadecloth before. Here in my part of the country most people garden the same old way whether or not it's for the best. I'm the only one who doesn't burn leaves and doesn't believe in Miracle Gro.

As for becoming discouraged when things don't work - at my age - well...as long as you live hopefully you'll learn something from it. Now if I could just remember where I put that paint.

• shlacm
    14 years ago

Just wondering how things have gone with the tree...

• jch062098
    13 years ago

How is the super dwarf Cherry? Just got one in Philadelphia.

• iammarcus
    13 years ago

A super-dwarf containerized cherry sounds great. carolinabluesky and jch062098 where did you find them?
    Dan

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource