Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beitfig1

edible star jasmine + geranium

beitfig1
16 years ago

Hi everyone.

I am trying to find out if two plants are edible:

The first one is a star jasmine. I know they are prized for their fragrance, but I also want to know if you can eat them.

The second is a regular ornamental geranium. I have read that many of the scented geraniums are edible, but I can't find anything about the regular run of the mill geranium.

Thanks,

John

Comments (4)

• carolinabluesky
    16 years ago

ALL PARTS OF STAR JASMINE ARE TOXIC.

Don't normally use caps but you scared me. Not sure about the geranium, but all jasmines and jessamines are poisonous.

You may be thinking about the old wild honeysuckles that we all ate as children ( in NC it's a common practice )?

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

Not all jasmine plants are poisonous, the one "maid of orleans/arabian tea" jasmine are edible. They use the flowers in jasmine tea. Not sure about star jasmine, it very well could be toxic, but I know that the arabian tea jasmine's flowers are edible.

Also, the geraniums that you are thinking of are the rose scented geraniums, they used the leaves to make 'rose cake'. I saw a recipe on martha stewart awhile back, she used grapefruit scented geraniums to scent the sugar used in the recipe.

• carolync1
    16 years ago

Carissa macrocarpa (C. grandiflora) or Natal Plum has flowers that smell like jasmine or star jasmine. They have fruits which are edible when ripe, tasting something like a sweet cranberry. They only grow unprotected in nearly frost-free climates.

Star jasmine is not closely related to true jasmines. The yellow jessamines (also not jasmines) are very toxic.

I don't know if regular ornamental geraniums (Pelargoniums) are edible, but I don't think they would be too tasty if edible. Many people dislike the scent of regular geranium plants. Even scented geranium leaves are usually removed from the foods they are used to scent.

Below is a link to a list of poisonous flowers. The page also links information on edible flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: poisonous and edible flowers

• ikCCki
    12 years ago

The text below is from another web page where they were talking about edible jasmine and those used for medicinal uses;

"Jasmine tea has been made since ancient times and is said to have spiritual powers. This tea is cleverly made by resting the tea leaves strategically beside the powerfully scented Jasmine flowers. The scent is then used in the leaves capturing its essence to create an aromatic affair. In Asia the flowers are used to scent not only teas but desserts as well.

The scenting technique of the green tea belongs to Chinese Sung dynasty of the 13th century and consists in blending a few leaves of non-fermented tea with Jasmine flowers for some hours at night, when they release their essential oils. "

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz