Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whartonia

Grape vine sprouting babies

whartonia
19 years ago

I've got muscadine grapes growing on a chain link fence. This is my first Spring in the house so I haven't seen how they grow back from the winter. I've got lots of little vines growing up from the ground 2-3 feet away from the fence. I certainly don't want them there, but am not sure on how to get rid of them. Should I just clip at the ground? Do I have to dig out the root? Can I clip and root for cuttings to give to friends?

Thanks,

Neesa in FL

Comments (4)

• megajas
    19 years ago

If they are suckers, you should just be able to dig them up w/ a rooted section (cut off from main plant) and have rooted sections ready for planting somewhere else. If you just want them gone, clipping them off should work, but they may come back (IE: lilacs sucker & my mom mows over hers when they cut the grass)

• MariusK
    19 years ago

Hi,

I live in Naples Florida (z10) and I was wondering if there is any kind of grape that can be grown in this zone? If so, can anyone tell me their experience and possibly a location of buying grape plants in surrounding area?

Best regards,
    Marius

• ksrogers
    19 years ago

Maybe the Muscadine type for FL? Check out Stark Bros. and a few. I have also attached a link to a web site that mentions some types suitable for Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert grape info

• flora_uk
    19 years ago

They may be seedlings if fruit was allowed to drop and rot in the past. In which case you should be able to just pull them up.