Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timst4

Juvenile paw paw shade?

timst4
10 years ago

I have just planted some very young paw paws, from Peterson paw paws, and per instructions I erected some artificial shade for them. I am using simple burlap erected on a bamboo teepee structure. Everything seems to be doing well but I noticed that in the absence of abundant light the paw paw leaves seem to be growing down towards the ground. Is this normal? Is burlap too shady? What is the appropriate gauge of shade cloth required for young paw paws?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tim

Comments (6)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Hi Tim,
    What is the leaf size right now?Once the leaves get big,they are floppy and droop somewhat.
    One grower recommended putting a white plastic trash bag over a framework,especially between the hours of 10AM-2PM.Holes can be punched to promote some air circulation.
    Here is a picture of a young Sunflower and Wabash. Brady

This post was edited by Bradybb on Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 10:07

• timst4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks brady. My paw paws are barely yearlings. I was concerned that the leaves were growing down but it seems that's normal. I may cut some holes in my burlap. I have a feeling that it's a bit too shady in there.

Thanks again

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I planted two peterson paw paw plants in the fall. They are now starting to leaf out. Is it absolutely necessary to shade them?

This post was edited by CharlieBoring on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 10:07

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

I'm fairly sure Charlie,that I read on a recent Pawpaw thread,that someone contacted Neal Peterson and he said his grafted ones need no shade protection.
    But,I'm in Washington State,a little east of Seattle and the Summers are not exceedingly hot here usually,as was last year's.The Wabash in the photo was sent to me last year and was probably a couple years old.
    I had it and the Sunflower outside during the Summer and after a while the leaves started getting discolored(it's most noticeable on the Sunflower in the pic) .So I brought them into my greenhouse,where I could control things more and although the yellowing never went away,no more leaves were affected.
    I guess if the plants are young and put in the ground and the growing spot is in a hot area,I'd be cautious and maybe shade them for a year.It probably couldn't hurt. Brady

• chervil2
    10 years ago

I think the shade is not needed. I have not done that with my trees and I now have a dozen in my sunny yard. What is most important is to establish the trees in a permanent location where the roots can get well established.

• scot
    10 years ago

i see the string is a bit old, but my 2 cents. i am in central MI, and the summers get pretty hot and sunny in my location. seedling trees need some shade in the first couple growing seasons or they will likely burn out. grafted are a bit tougher since the wood is already mature, but i still give them some shade the first season. if the "trunks" start to look like they are getting burnt then erect some protoection. they absolutely need to be planted in permanent location as they wont transplant easily. i use nurse plants for shade on my young trees, poppies and or annual vines work very well. i just plant them to the west of the baby tree, they dapple the afternoon sun and get dead by winter.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner