Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground Cherry Question

Posted by EssexClaire EssexCountyNJ (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 05 at 15:11

Hello--
Many thanks in advance for advice and suggestions. I'd like to cover a patch of mostly sunny slope with ground cherry.

Here's my question: is it too late to start from seeds, or should I go for transplants?

I just ordered some seeds from Heirloom Seeds. I see that SeedSaver sells transplants.

I consider myself a newbie gardener, but I've been having good luck with starting seeds indoors and then moving them to the garden for the past few years.

I'm in Zone 6, Northern NJ.

Thanks,
Claire

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground Cherry Question

You mean a Physalis, edible when cooked? I don't know about new Jersey weather but you've got a long season still. Why not?

o

Yes, it is to late to start from seed. I started my ground cherries in February. I would do them from transplants now.

o

I started my ground cherries from seed at about the same time you did and I have gotten a good crop. One tip is to mulch with a clean mulch like newspaper or cardboard or landscapeing cloth or plastic. The reason the things are called ground cherries is that when they are ripe they drop on the ground. If you don't mulch they will be in the dirt and if you mulch with straw or hay they will be lost as they are mostly the color of straw or hay.

They do get the same diseases as tomatoes and their family but not as badly as some. Maybe they are not a tough as a tomatillo but tougher than a tomato.

They will keep in their little paper covers for a few weeks after harvest and that let me accumlate enough to make jam. I want to experiment with chutney this year.

Tracy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here