Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jplayland

Green Rhubarb Sources

jplayland
11 years ago

I've been hunting for a source for Riverside Giant rhubarb. I can't find any in the USA and the sources I have found are in Australia or the UK and can't ship to the USA.

Does anyone know of a source or have any yourself? I would also be interested in other large green varieties of rhubarb.

For those of you who don't know the green varieties grow more vigorously and taste the same or slightly more tart than normal red varieties. Riverside Giant is specifically what I am looking for because it is what I had as a kid. I'm tempted to sneak into my parents old yard to see if there is any left for me to steal.

Comments (16)

• nicoleternity
    11 years ago

I endorse going back to your old yard :).

• freki
    11 years ago

Try Canadian nurseries, they can often ship to the US. The problem Customs has is dirt. A place that sells seeds (no dirt!) is more likely to ship to the US.

If you can't find Riverside Giant I can personally attest to the (ahem) size & vigor of "Victoria". It does bolt early & often, though.

• jplayland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found a guy in WV with 6 Riverside Giant plants. He is going to split them in the fall and sell me a couple. I hope he keeps his word. Is fall the right time to split the plants though? I always did it in the spring as they came out of dorm.

I could only find one other source of seeds/crowns. Those are in the UK, and they can't ship to the US. I've been contemplating smuggling more and more lately. Rhubarb and Romance Cherry plants.

Anyone from the UK want to package rhubarb as electronics and ship them to me? Anyone from Canada want to do the same for the Romance Cherries? I'm half kidding, but would take someone up on it if they actually volunteered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brandy Carr Nurseries (UK)

• RpR_
    11 years ago

This site should help a little.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com

• jplayland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That site is how I decided I wanted Riverside Rhubarb. I really wish they would put a list of sources for each variety. \

I'm almost giving up on finding any good green rhubarb sources.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I just sent some of my sourdough starter, dried, to Canada, and was shocked that I had to fill out a customs form. I put "starter," on the form, and it states that they might open it. Thank God it's whole wheat starter, or customs might toss it thinking it's cocaine!

Suzi

• Vipergtsc4
    11 years ago

Bump, has anyone found riverside giant rhubarb?

• jplayland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have one large crown of Riverside Giant that just arrived today. I forgot to bug the guy last fall, but remembered this year. I'm going to plant it and mulch it tomorrow.

Does anyone know anything about propagation of Rhubarb by root cutting (not just division?) I think I can safely divide the crown into 3 pieces, one I would risk cutting into cuttings if there is a good chance of success. I will likely delay division until spring though.

• Vipergtsc4
    10 years ago

Hi jplayland. I like the info from this website: http://rhubarbinfo.com/propagating

It's amazing that you found the riverside giant rhubarb, it's so hard to find. I would love a cutting from it, if possible. I've been looking for that cultivar for a long time.

Here is a link that might be useful: rhubarb propagating

• jplayland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Viper, I will see what I can do in the spring. I think I'm going to try multiple propagation methonds, but I'm not sure they will work without the crown going through dormancy. I'm planning on splitting the crown in three. Three normal divisions. Two will be replanted as my "safety" plants. The third will be cut into many 2" segments for attempted root cutting propagation. I'm going to try out tissue culture propagation this winter and if successful, I will take a few some of the cuttings and cut them further. So, in the spring I will have between 2 and 100 plants. If I have more than 2, I would be willing to trade, it sounds like you may have a rhubarb collection, something I am only just starting.

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

I came across this link while thinking about your post on green rhubarb. I thought I would share it, they might have a line on the variety you are looking for. I also came across a page that listed the Riverside Green under different names though the same plant apparently. I didn't think to bookmark it and now I can't find it again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb Conservation Group

• HU-869933616
    3 years ago

Jplayland- did you have luck with your Riverside Giant? I am trying to find a crown or two so that it can be added to the National collection housed here in Alaska as well as get it to the Germoplasm bank. That way it’s not lost completely since it’s becoming so very hard to find these days.

• HU-456750195
    2 years ago

Hey, I am in Canada and am looking for these up here.

I will report and see if I can find a plant of seeds.

If I get some seeds, I can ust mail them dow there to anyone who wants some.

Y'all might have to wait for a year incase I only get a plant.

let me know if any of you only came across Canadian sources. I am in Halifax and my mother is in Victoria, so if we find any on either coast, I am sure we can figure something out.

Rydé

• HU-869933616
    2 years ago

Rhubarb doesn’t grow true from seed but even seeds would be very welcome at this point. I’ve searched nationwide and have started hunting internationally as not even the Germoplasm banks (either in the US, UK or EU) have it. RG - and other pure green varieties- were super common pre-WW2 but lost favor due to sugar rationing (they are very tart). It’s possible color television also played a role as folks started thinking green rhubarb wasn’t ripe. Hope you are able to find seeds!

• celvet
    2 years ago

I am also interested in Riverside Giant. Let me know if you find a source. I think it was probably the one that I remember from my childhood in Colorado. That was quite tall and very hardy (growing at 8000 ft). So far I haven’t come across any sources. This seems to be the most likely place to get information.

• May Pao
    2 years ago

Does anyone have a source for Riverside Giant Rhubarb? I am in the Chicago area and can't find any US sources either....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting