Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Rhubarb Sources

Posted by jplayland 4 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 15:48

I've been hunting for a source for Riverside Giant rhubarb. I can't find any in the USA and the sources I have found are in Australia or the UK and can't ship to the USA.

Does anyone know of a source or have any yourself? I would also be interested in other large green varieties of rhubarb.

For those of you who don't know the green varieties grow more vigorously and taste the same or slightly more tart than normal red varieties. Riverside Giant is specifically what I am looking for because it is what I had as a kid. I'm tempted to sneak into my parents old yard to see if there is any left for me to steal.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Rhubarb Sources

I endorse going back to your old yard :).

o

Try Canadian nurseries, they can often ship to the US. The problem Customs has is dirt. A place that sells seeds (no dirt!) is more likely to ship to the US.

If you can't find Riverside Giant I can personally attest to the (ahem) size & vigor of "Victoria". It does bolt early & often, though.

o

I found a guy in WV with 6 Riverside Giant plants. He is going to split them in the fall and sell me a couple. I hope he keeps his word. Is fall the right time to split the plants though? I always did it in the spring as they came out of dorm.

I could only find one other source of seeds/crowns. Those are in the UK, and they can't ship to the US. I've been contemplating smuggling more and more lately. Rhubarb and Romance Cherry plants.

Anyone from the UK want to package rhubarb as electronics and ship them to me? Anyone from Canada want to do the same for the Romance Cherries? I'm half kidding, but would take someone up on it if they actually volunteered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brandy Carr Nurseries (UK)

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 0:31

This site should help a little.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com

o

That site is how I decided I wanted Riverside Rhubarb. I really wish they would put a list of sources for each variety. \

I'm almost giving up on finding any good green rhubarb sources.

o

I just sent some of my sourdough starter, dried, to Canada, and was shocked that I had to fill out a customs form. I put "starter," on the form, and it states that they might open it. Thank God it's whole wheat starter, or customs might toss it thinking it's cocaine!

Suzi

o

Bump, has anyone found riverside giant rhubarb?

o

I have one large crown of Riverside Giant that just arrived today. I forgot to bug the guy last fall, but remembered this year. I'm going to plant it and mulch it tomorrow.

Does anyone know anything about propagation of Rhubarb by root cutting (not just division?) I think I can safely divide the crown into 3 pieces, one I would risk cutting into cuttings if there is a good chance of success. I will likely delay division until spring though.

o

Hi jplayland. I like the info from this website: http://rhubarbinfo.com/propagating

It's amazing that you found the riverside giant rhubarb, it's so hard to find. I would love a cutting from it, if possible. I've been looking for that cultivar for a long time.

Here is a link that might be useful: rhubarb propagating

o

Hi Viper, I will see what I can do in the spring. I think I'm going to try multiple propagation methonds, but I'm not sure they will work without the crown going through dormancy. I'm planning on splitting the crown in three. Three normal divisions. Two will be replanted as my "safety" plants. The third will be cut into many 2" segments for attempted root cutting propagation. I'm going to try out tissue culture propagation this winter and if successful, I will take a few some of the cuttings and cut them further. So, in the spring I will have between 2 and 100 plants. If I have more than 2, I would be willing to trade, it sounds like you may have a rhubarb collection, something I am only just starting.

o

I came across this link while thinking about your post on green rhubarb. I thought I would share it, they might have a line on the variety you are looking for. I also came across a page that listed the Riverside Green under different names though the same plant apparently. I didn't think to bookmark it and now I can't find it again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb Conservation Group

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here