Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuni_gw

Root cellars & Food Storage

zuni
14 years ago

The posts about root cellars are very old. Maybe it is time for a new discussion. I would like to hear from anyone that has SUCCESSFULLY tried preserving fresh foods this way.

I am reading "Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables" by Mike & Nancy Bubel, and that will be my guide.

We have a 150-year old house with a large concrete box in the basement. The bottom of the box is dirt. I suspect this was a root cellar at one time. I believe we would need to put some fresh sand in the bottom, mouse-proof it with some hardware cloth, and cover the box with an insulated lid. Does the food need to be packed in sand also?

Comments (4)

• linda_schreiber
    14 years ago

I am no pro at this, but I will be *very* interested in what you find out over time. My understanding is that how the food is packed for storage in a root cellar depends on what it is. Carrots one way. Apples another. Winter squash another. Potatoes another still. And so on. Not too tricky. Mostly different methods for roots, fruits, veggies, with some variants for particular crops. But you don't bury them all in sand....

Also check out the "Stocking Up" books. The latest one I have is III, but there may be a newer one. Talks about temps and humidity in cellar and other underground storage, as well as many methods for different crops. May help supplement the guide you have.

And you may not want to plan on the insulated lid.... However things are packed, long storage generally depends on decent airflow, and humidity that can even out in the ambient of the cold basement. Don't seal it up! You will probably be sorry if you do.

Please keep us posted on what you learn.

• mockturtle
    13 years ago

I REALLY want a root cellar. I've been trying for a year to find out if I can have one successfully in So Calif.

• zuni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK folks, if you are thinking about cellaring find this book at a library or Amazon. It has everything you need to know:
    "Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables" (Mike & Nancy Bubel).

Mockturle, I sympathize if you have caliche soil but I do think the book may have some ideas for you, too!

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

mockturtle, the short answer is no, not without artificial cooling. It won't get cold enough on it's own. You could create a room fully below ground that might maintain a 60-65F temp if well insulated, but it would probably not be humid enough. If you can keep your humidity up (~70%), this would work to help extend the shelf life of winter squash and sweet potatoes, but not much else. Garlic and onions like it colder, but it would have some benefit on shelf life.

You're better off taking advantage of that year-long growing season.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES