Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two more decorative edibles....

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 05 at 18:11

Hi here's two more decorative edibles (I just ran across) that I'd like to try:

Tetragonolobus purpurea (asparagus / winged pea) pods sauteed like pod peas or string beans.... or asparagus :)
http://www.britishseed.com/Seed/Seed250/Vegetable250Logo/Asparagus400/AsparagusPea0602.jpg
From what I can gather like warms weather and full sun in fertile to infertile soil.... pick pods when small.... Has pretty (interesting) "brick" red flowers..... Grows like a green bean (twiggy)

Trapapogon porifolius salsify - roots used like parsnips in sops and stews.....
Pretty purple flowers supposed to be very easy to grow.....
http://www.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~db50/FOTO_-_Archiv/Tragopogon porrifolius BotKA F4.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two more decorative edibles....

I ordered asparagus pea from Pinetree. Too soon to tell how it'll do. It sounded good though. Here's the link although I hesitate to recommend Pinetree; I'm going into my second month waiting for my seeds from them :-(

They're listed under peas, about halfway down the page:

Here is a link that might be useful: asparagus pea at pinetree

o

I also ordered asparagus pea from them.... they have (in general) EXCELLENT PRICES.... and quality seeds (good germination) with a fairly good selection but sometimes their page is hard to navigate and they ARE TARDY...... Maybe they are a small business but most seeds arrive (as most orders) within 5-7 business days..... pinetree policy is 2-3 weeks in the spring and "reasonable" time every other time of year.... I'm sure this is their "pus" or busy time but IT IS ANNOYING!..... I'm starting the asparagus pea indoors to give it a headstart (likes long warm growing season..... or so sources say).... but in Florida you could probably direct seed..... I've also heard not to plant them in too rich of soil ...... :)

o

The runner beans, like Scarlet Runner and varieties in various shades of peach, red and white, and white, are very decorative and easy to grow. I don't find the pods very edible unless very small, but the beans are good as shelled or dry beans.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 29, 05 at 23:18

I ordered both asparagus pea and scarlet runner bean from pinetree seeds. Will be the first year trying them. So many new things to try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here