Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gladiolus

Posted by oldherb z8 Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 05 at 19:16

I'm just nuts about edible flowers and it seems that just when I think the list can't get any bigger, it does. Gladiolus is the latest flower I hear one can eat. I'm going to give it a try this summer. I'm already feasting on tuberous begonia flowers and many, many others. I am already picturing an amazing summer salad with their lovely blooms festooning the fresh garden greens and drizzled with a lovely raspberry-lime vinegarette.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gladiolus

That sounds yummy. Do you have a site that lists which flowers and which parts of them you can eat? DO you have any recipes online we can print and try?

o

Oh goody, I'll sample mine when they come up.

Have you tried hyacinth bean flowers? I just discovered today that those are edible too (they sure smell good).

o

I have read the bulbs are edible but I do not know that personally, and I am an expert in wild edibles. The petals of the flowers are edible but people are advised not to eat the center of the flowers because they might have an allergic reaction to the pollen. What I find interesting is the an African native but apparently do not reproduce here in Florida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here