Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paw paws & blossoms

Posted by pjb3811 z5NY (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 19:40

I have 2 paw paw trees, same variety, now about 7 yrs old, both planted outdoors. Last year, for the first time, one tree produced blossoms but the other did not and it doesn't look like it is going to cooperate this year either. I have been told they need another tree's pollen to successfully fertilize. They are both in the same area, about 10 ft apart. Anyone have suggestions as to how I can get the stubborn one to get with the program?
Thanks.
PJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paw paws & blossoms

• Posted by scot z5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 19:07

it is my understanding that you need 2 different varieties for polination. but that said, to get both to bloom,, i had some trouble with the less vigorous of mine to have enough flowers to overlap with the more robust one. i fertized with blue berry / azalea fertilizer last spring and fall, and again this spring, and they are both loaded. dont know if that did it, but i'm going with it. if you can locate another tree (wild, botanical garden, etc) get a flower from it with ripe pollen and hand polinate. its pretty easy to tell which flowers will be receptive

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here