Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomegranite Tree Location

Posted by Atl_Brownthumb 7B (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 19:58

I just planted a pomegranate tree that I intend to prune as a bush right in front of my house, maybe 4' away from the nearest wall.

Will it get too large there?

It gets enough light, and is in a courtyard area to protect from winter winds, and is supposed to be cold hardy to 0F. I'm just outside Atlanta, so it should be fine by weather. I'm just a little concerned about it getting too large for that location.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomegranite Tree Location

It should be fine but you just have to keep it in check with yearly pruning. Some varieties of Poms grow larger than others but they can all be kept to a manageable size with pruning. I have poms planted only 3 feet from my driveway and I just keep pruning them into the shape I want.
Simon

o
RE: Pomegranite Tree Location

Thanks for the feedback, Simon!
My plan is to keep it pruned into a bush, for more prolific fruit.

Do you have any tips on pruning? The branches seem very 'willowy,' so I'm not sure having had some experience pruning trees like apples will help me. Do you prune mostly for shape/size, or do you look for suckers, etc., too?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here