Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonlyd

Avocado to make fruit

jonlyd
17 years ago

We are wondering if the avocado that we have nurtured from seed and is now 4 1/2 feet tall needs another tree to polinate? Or is only one necessary to get fruit?

Comments (3)

• johnnycadoseed
    16 years ago

Do you know the type of avocado seed you raised? If you bought a avocado at the supermarket, it is probably a Hass avocado. Hass is a type"A" and needs a type "B" for germination. If you live in an area with neighbors growing avocado trees, you probably can get away with their trees germinating yours.
    Now for the bad news. Avocado trees grown from a seed are ify, at best, in fruiting. One way or the other, your looking at several years of maturing before you'll know if you have a fruiting tree. If you are serious about growing your own avocados, your best bet is to buy one from a nursery that was grafted and will produce. I hope this helps you, John

• jonlyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes its a Haas, that's the kind we usually buy. We would very likely be 1/2 to 1 mile from the next avocado tree.

Do we need to get a "B" type? and how do you know that you have a B type? Is it another type of avocado in the store?

• johnnycadoseed
    16 years ago

If you can ask your produce guy at the supermarket if they stock avocados other than Hass (it's Hass not Haas). If they do, Google the name and see if it is "a" or "b". I noticed you are in Texas. Watch your climate zone. Hass are very frost sensitive and they don't stand up to a hot sun. If your climate is somewhat mild, you'll have a wonderful experience with avocados. If you arn't, avocado trees are one of the most high maintenance plants around. I have a Mexicola Grande that I have to shade cloth in the summer and wrap and use a light bulb in the winter. I was limping it along until about six weeks ago when, out of knowwhere, the low temp dropped to 17. Killed it dead. The most hartiest of avocados. Back to the "b" subject. You are probably going to have to go to a nursery. Try to buy a Fuerte. They are one of the more harty "b" varieties.
    John

Sponsored