Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherylnsw

Mushroom kit

cherylnsw
16 years ago

I posted this over on the Australian forum, but there looks like there is no-one home over there, I am hoping that someone here may be able to help me.

I just bought a mushroom kit from Bunnings, the instructions that came with it are pathetic, I need a little help and tips please. It is in a polystyrene lidded box. I followed the instructions and spread out the compost, covering it with peat moss supplied. All the instructions say is "for best results select a dark humid position away from draughts", do I leave the lid on or off?

I also need to find that dark humid spot in a bright and airy house. Probably will put it in the garage, in an old cupboard or something.

Comments (3)

• red_sea_me
    16 years ago

hello CherylNSW,

based solely upon the infomation you supplied, I would say leaving the lid on would provide hummidity needed, if not occasional misting with "purified" water would help. Do not mist directly on the fungus but the walls of the container. If you cannot find a dark spot, cover the container with a blanket.

Once again, not knowing what you have,
    some mushrooms need fresh air, remove your lid, gently fan container and replace lid, mist if needed. Do this at least twice a day. Some also need small amounts of light, in the wild, it lets them know they have reached the surface and it is time to fruit and spread their spores. This means maybe and hour a day allow indirect light (can use electric light or even a bright room, no direct sun).

If you know the name of your fungus, try to run it through various search engines or even post it on the mushroom forum here at GW.

hope it helps, good luck,
    -Ethan

• cherylnsw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ethan, your reply is very helpful, I just took a look at the kit, yes I did leave the lid on and I notice a couple of spots that show activity.

I will look over at the Mushroom forum, didn't realise there was one, mustn't have looked hard enough when I was looking for a forum to post in. Again thankyou for your reply.

Cheryl

• garden_fever_girl
    16 years ago

I've grown mushrooms from a kit once before, it was when I was a kid--but it was a great success. I would suggest contacting the company you bought it from if at all possible to find out about the lid issue-- that could have a great impact on whether they were successful or not. I would put them in a basement if I could -- if you don't have a basement a close second would be a closet in an unused room where it would be dark-- or possibly clear out a bathroom or kitchen cabinet and use that. I would worry about temperature fluxuations in a garage that might negatively impact the spores. Good luck!!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?