Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomegranate not leaf out yet: Have I lost it?

Posted by forever_a_newbie z7/8 VA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 22:45

We have a 3-4 year old "Wonderful" and it has been doing beautifully, blooming all the summer and producing one fruit each year. This January we moved it to our new house site (still in construction), and the workers had accidentally stroke on it twice.
Today when checking the tree, it hasn't leaf out. The branchs still seem vital, but I'm worried we might have lost it. I feel very bad on this, since this is the one tree that I really like a lot.
Any idea or suggestion? Thank you very much in advance.

Changsong

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomegranate not leaf out yet: Have I lost it?

I seem to recall from one my father had that they do leaf out quite late. His was moved at quite a large size and survived. If you snap off a twig and it bends before it snaps and is green inside your pomegranate is probably ok. Just keep it watered and wait.

o

Thanks Flora.I actually the gentleman whom we got the tree from and he told me Pomegranate will leave sometime early May. I don't remember when it leafed out the past years, since it was never a concern for us. And we kind of got ancious because the tree had been moved and knocked. The branches are still green. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Changsong

o

i live in waco texas i guess its 8b...the poms here are just now leafing so yours should come along next month

o

This tree has been a survivor for thousands of years! They can come back from a small twig, a small amount of root left in the ground, or from self seeding.
They do choose their own time to come out of dormancy.
They are well worth the wait. Mine are in bloom here now.
Be patient.

o

Thank you all for this information. We'll keep patient on her. The odd thing is that the cuttings I took late last autumn already leaf out a few weeks ago, and one little baby even set a flower bud. They are all outside on the ground. That makes us especially my husband ancious on the mother plant. But I assume the cuttings might go through different physiological route. Happy gardening, Changsong

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here