Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kiwi Vine

Posted by silybum PNW (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 05 at 0:06

I am considering planting a Kiwi Vine up and over my pergola/arbor. Any advise? I live in the Pacific North West, in the San Francisco Bay Area, down the Penisnula, in Redwood City.

We had a climbing rose (mermaid) that got way out of hand, and was quite the mess, although it provided great shade. And I wasn't to fond of the green foliage color, or the shade of yellow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kiwi Vine

They should grow there. You'll need a male and a female if you want fruit. And you'll need a really strong pergola, not one of those rickety, flimsy things.

And you'll need to be willing to prune it, or you won't be able to get into your house. If you think the rose bush got out of hand, the kiwi vines will be more so. If you want an easy-care, neat climber, don't get kiwi. Get something like a Clematis.

Sue

o

I just got my kiwi from ebay last week...the male was puny, but is growing fast.

o

They need lots of water. I killed mine by not watering enough. They also need sun.

o

• Posted by silybum Sunset 16/8b CA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 12, 05 at 16:31

Thanks for the tips.

I was going to get mine bare root in January.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here