Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommend South Florida Edible Landscape Designer/Consultant

Posted by newbiegardner Z10 S. Florida (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 13:27

I am looking for someone to help me with a landscape design for my 2 acre property. On 1 acre I have my home. The seconed acre is a vacant field.

I am looking for a landscape designer with experience in fruit trees. I need enough fruit trees on my 1 acre vacant field property to qualify for the "agricultural" property tax break in Broward County. How many is enough?

The problem is that I don't want the land to "look like a farm" with nice neat rows of "crops". Instead, I would like to give it a nice, tropical fruit garden feel.

Another consideration is that I have a 180 foot iron fence planned for the front of the property and would like privacy and would like to plant so that my acre is screened from the road. I've read about some folks planting a "fruit hedge" and it sounds like a nice idea....but need expert help and advice.

I am looking for fruit trees that look nice and have leaves year round. I have some lychee trees and mango trees on my current home property that are very nice and don't look "farmy" but I also have some Sugar Apple trees that lose all their leaves in the winter and look horrible most of the year.

I can't seem to find anyone that is experienced in edible landscape designing and am open to any recommendations/suggestions. The few that I have found have their own nurseries and seem to want to sell me on whatever they have on hand.

I am willing to pay hourly for a consultation but want "neutral" advice and a design that is not based on anyone's current inventory.

Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommend South Florida Edible Landscape Designer/Consultant

Have you asked your local extension office?

Also there are rare fruit groups all over Florida that consist of backyard gardeners with tons of experience. They may have some ideas for you.

Then there's the Fruit and Spice Park in Homestead. I've never visited it yet but it sounds WONDERFUL. They have a big shindig coming up June 21. Do a google search. They will be having tastings of many fruits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broward Rare Fruit group

o

Let me know if you or any contacts need help with edible landscaping. My company 'Ready-to-Grow Gardens', specializes in edible landscape design, installation, and maintenance. I am based in the Miami area. Feel free to peruse my website www.ready-to-grow.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ready-to-Grow Gardens Site

o
Erica Klopf: South Florida Edible Landscape Designer/Consultant

Check out www.southfloridaediblelandscaping.com

Here is a link that might be useful: South Florida Edible Landscaping

o

Brent Knoll and Sarah Reimer of Easy Edible Landscapes design Edible Landscapes for South Florida and the surrounding area. Visit our website http://www.easyediblelandscapes.com/
or call us at 3054965155

Thanks!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Edible Landscapes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here