Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Sunflower Question

Posted by MonkeyGirl Near SF, CA z10 (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 14:01

I am 39 years old and I am growing the first sunflowers of my life in my first veggie garden. A few that I started from seed are growing quite nicely. I have a pair that was started in the same 4" pot and I never had the heart to prune one out. Now they are about 2 feet high and I am wondering if I can let them keep growing right next to each other, stem to stem, or if I have to take the knife to one of them. I hate to kill my babies!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Sunflower Question

They will probably continue to grow but won't be as big as they would be if they had their own pot or more so if they were in the ground. It also depends on the type of sunflower you planted. Some want to grow very very tall so a 4 inch pot is just not enough room for those.

My best luck with sunflowers (any type) is to direct sow the seed where you want the flower to grow. Seems almost too simple but this has worked for me the best. My transplants always suffer and usually don't make it.

Good luck, Sunflowers are so beautiful.

o

I am sorry that I was not clear.

These sunflowers were started in 4" pots, then planted in the ground. They are growing tall, but stem to stem.

I have munchers, earwigs and probably others, despite diligent beer trapping. Sunflowers sown directly and those transplanted small were munched to death. Bigger transplants survive.

o

I have no advice, but I am your gardening compatriot... 37 and planted my first sunflowers ever this spring. They just sprouted last weekend. Go sunflowers!

o

:) they'll be fine... mom raised me to plant them Russian style- three in a hole. so 'twins' should be downright roomy for them. depending on the species, they might lose a foot of height if the ground is really rotten-

but that just means the flowers will be closer to your face :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here