Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jman123_gw

poisonous fiddleheads

jman123
16 years ago

I understand that some fiddleheads are carcinogenic and that they are possibly toxic if not fully cooked. Are there any fiddleheads that are toxic even if picked and prepared properly?(I think the fuzzy ones are but i wouldnt eat them anyway)

Comments (9)

• californian
    16 years ago

I hope you are wrong as I have eaten a lot of Kosadi (Korean word for fiddlehead fern).

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

I've heard that some are poisonous, but that ostrich fiddle heads are good to eat. I don't know which ones are poisonous...let me find out...

Okay, here is the link! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/food-fiddleheads.html

• yeagman
    15 years ago

i've been picking fiddleheads for some time now, but i'm always interested in more information. please e-mail me with more edible and inedible info.i do have quite alot of info wild mushrooms!

• OKMoreh
    15 years ago

Fiddleheads have been eaten safely for many generations, but they need to be cooked fully. There is a toxin in them that is deactivated by heat.

There was an incident several years ago in which customers at a fancy restaurant were poisoned by fiddleheads that had been stir-fried and served so that they were still crisp - that is, not fully cooked. The traditional way of cooking them is to boil them.

• tripbarber
    15 years ago

I was told that fiddleheads are nontoxic untill the start to mature. That as long as they where still curled up tight you had nothing to worry about that they could be ate raw but when they started to open and mature they became toxic! Tom Brown discussed this in one of his books, but I can't remember which one

• tripbarber
    15 years ago

I was told that fiddleheads are nontoxic untill the start to mature. That as long as they where still curled up tight you had nothing to worry about that they could be ate raw but when they started to open and mature they became toxic! Tom Brown discussed this in one of his books, but I can't remember which one

• ikc_tds_net
    13 years ago

Cook them thoroughly and drain the water.

I've been eating them for years and maybe I've been lucky to this point. Last night we had some more -- same plants, picked from next to our house -- just a new season. Little water was used this time and they were essentially just steamed for a few minutes. I may have drank some of the water, too.

I spent last night alternately hugging and sitting on the toilet. I've recovered well since then but it was not a pleasant experience.

• californian
    13 years ago

I just talked to a Korean who knows about Kosadi and she says Koreans soak the fiddlehead ferns is water and throw away the water several times before boiling it.

• solanaceae
    12 years ago

fiddlehead is meaningless. There are different "fiddlehead" ferns.

Matteuccia struthiopteris ostrich fern has edible shoots.

Pteridium aquilinum bracken fern is eaten but probably carcinogenic. Other "fiddle head ferns are mildly toxic.

Sponsored