Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help With Asparagus

Posted by osboada (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 11 at 14:46

I planted my asparagus trench last night and the package didnt say how far apart to plant them. I dug a 6x6 trench and spread out the roots so they werent overlapping, but right next to eachother. Now i'm reading they must be 8 inches apart. Does this mean from center to center, or from edge of roots to edge of roots.

Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help With Asparagus

Hi,

Generally speaking I measure from the entire clump of the plant. You don't have to be that precise for the veggies. But each small plant now will grow over time into a clump of about 8" in diameter and more as the plant ages. Asparagus is a long life perennial that can grow for 20+ years. I've planted mine a good foot apart for future years. The first summer in the middle I plant other small veggies to utilize the space and help shade the asparagus from the summer heat.

Cheers,
Peggy

o

Hi I look forward to my asparagus season and plant more every year. I let them develop for 3 years without picking. Each clump develops to nearly 3 feet wide and up to five feet high so plant them as far apart as you have space. I find thay are quite tough plants once they establish. Cheers Max

o

I thought it was suggested 18" apart. Mine are 12" and way too close.

o

What other care do they need? Do they like acid/alkaline? Wet/dry? There are a few 1-2 year old plants already established in our new place, lucky us.

o

They don't like it wet. Loose better draining soil is best.

I am growing about 20 in 12" pots. so basically they are 12" apart. They feed pretty voraciously and are doing quite well. I would suggest an 18" separation for optimal spacing between ferns, mine seems to be a little crowded, but not complaining. The greating the spacing the greater the yield per plant but the lower the yield per square foot. So it is a trade off. I'm still first year and itching to try some. The new spears are thumb size in diameter and begging to get snapped, but I have resisted so far.
I have pests galore! The battle is non-stop with every other plant I have. Aspargus, no problems at all! The only issue I have had is, racoons/opossums stealing the odd spear or two. They seem to have quit and moved on to greener pastures.

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 23:09

Keep them watered during the sunny hot summer weather. Mine shriveled up without enough water. We are hot and dry in summer. They like neutral to alkaline soil. A very rewarding plant.
John S
PDX OR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here