Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
careytearose

New to this forum, hello everyone-...

careytearose
16 years ago

I just discovered this forum and am looking forward to reading posts and getting acclimated ... I usually hang out over on the Roses, Antique Roses, Gardening with Kids, Cottage Garden, and Landscape Design forums and galleries.

As a way to introduce myself (and the rest of the family as we all enjoy gardening)- let me tell you about our gardens! We have over 100 roses, unsprayed so that we can use for eating and making sugared rose petals. There is a long but narrow herb bed area along the garage wall at the front of the house. BUT I'd love to add more edibles, including some larger fruit trees in the back. We particularily love nasturims as underplantings at the feet of the roses on the trellises and rose-y one side yard. I love the "English Garden" and "Cottage Garden" types of plantings.

We are in zone 9 No. Calif. most of the front, back and side yards are pretty much full sun. The newly being created Secret Garden for our children is part sun/part shade.

To see some pics of our gardens, please check out my Picture Trail:

careytearose

Here is a link that might be useful: look at the Landscaping Projects 2007 and Favorite ROSES we grow albums

Comments (3)

• red_sea_me
    16 years ago

hello Careytearose,
    lovely pictures (and work done), I live in 9 also and am trying to convert as much landscape as possible to edibles. I've started over the past year or two to see the results of some of my efforts, in another year or two, it should be great. Of course by then, we will probably move to a new home and start over.

-Ethan

• careytearose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Ethan, thanks for the encouragement. Your edibles landscape sounds good, how about some pics?? What are you growing?? btw, why would you probably move and start over... we've been in our home since 1994 (its a 40 year old house). We've finally made this house just the way we really like it, and even though it small I love it! Gosh, I'd hate to start over. We're looking to plant fruit trees on our smallish back lawn, and dd has a veggies section in the Secret Garden.

careytearose

• red_sea_me
    16 years ago

hello Careytearose,
    I do post some pics on the tropical fruit forum. As far as tropicals go, they are still very young. Some of the more normal stuff, grapes, veggies, citrus, strawberries, boysenberries I've had awhile and are growing and fruiting like crazy. Tropical stuff, white sapote, guava, mango (going to be a test to not kill it), passionfruit, paw paws, cherimoyas, and other weird tastey stuff still need some time. I also have a small greenhouse for the 2-3 months a year it is cold, it is a swing arbor the rest of the time.

here is pic
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0116095916370.html?4

As far as moving, my wife and I have been in our home (40-50 year old home)7-years, it is 3bed-1bath. My wife just blessed us with our first child, a beautiful girl. If we are lucky, maybe a 2nd child in a few years. Two girls and 1 bath = daddy showering in the waterhose out back. If our next is a girl also, I'm in real trouble.

We own some property near here in a mountain community (Z8) and recently had a water well installed. Once things get squared away, I hope to start planting there. Maybe in 5-10 years if we can afford to have a house built, the orchard will be ready for me. I also hope to install a gh to continue with some of the tropicals. I have even started some rootstocks to graft my existing cvs onto.

-Ethan
    ps. do you ever pickle your nasturim seeds? If you pickle them when green, they are similar to capers, flowers are tastey too. If you like sweet taste, look into white sapote (casimiroa edulis) for a fruit tree, depending on your winter lows. Best new (to me) fruit I have eaten in years. Smooth "custard texture", sweet taste, fairly cold hardy.

Sponsored