Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small berry bushes

Posted by fruit_nut (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 08 at 17:33

I am completely crazy about growing edibles, but I have a small urban yard that is mostly patio. The only planting space is against the house or garage, and not full sun. So I have resigned myself to planting in containers that I can put in the middle of the patio where they will get full sun. We just moved here last fall and I wanted fruit right away, so I bought several small berry plants: service berry, red and black currants, gooseberry, sand cherry, buffaloberry and timberberry. Can you give me advice about growing these fruits? Also, suggestions about other bush fruit that might grow in Denver.
Also, I have heard of "ultra-dwarf" fruit trees that do well in containers. Has anyone had luck with these, or know where to get them?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small berry bushes

Don't have any of your berry plants, but I do have a meyer lemon tree in a pot. I've had it 3 years, and it's flowering now, it's only about a foot high - I just pinch it back if it puts out upward growth. Try Logee's catalogue, if you don't get it already, they have a bunch of fruit trees (other citrus, figs, pommegranites) that can be grown this way. I have a dwarf apple tree, but it's supposed to get 10 feet tall eventually. Stark Bros (where I got my apple tree) may have some smaller plants though...

o

Thanks thebadseed.
I actually bought a meyers lemon just a few weeks ago and have tiny little lemons growing on it!
I will get a Logee's catalogue and see if there is anything in there that I can't live without!

o

I don't know your location, but if you're near the west coast, Raintree Nursery is excellent. They have lots of dwarf fruit trees and shrubs, with lots of info about plant care on their comprehensive website.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here