Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paradisi

chickens? edible garden?

paradisi
15 years ago

Do chickens qualify as part of an edible garden? Their eggs certainly count in my calculations and their poo is magnificent for everything.

I have a problem with flying rats - turtle necked doves, you might have starlings or sparrows or something else flying in and eating your chicken food

I've been looking for ages for something that doesn't feed the hundreds of local turtle necked doves. I've tried scarecrows, bird dogs (he got sick of chasing so many so often), buckets with holes in it, upside down laundry baskets (worked for about a month until the doves figured it out).

I was putting off even thinking about grandpas feeder because its so expensive - - http://www.poultry-feeders.com/

but I eventually did the sums, worked out how much feed four chooks that free range about 200 square metres would eat and then how much I was actually feeding... I'm going through 25kg of feed in 2-3 weeks.

It'll take a while to pay for itself but I finally lashed out and bought a grandpas.

Paid for it Friday via an internet bank transfer, it was posted monday from geelong (I think) and I got it Wednesday.

I followed the instructions about training the chooks and found that the Lohman browns were operating the bin on Saturday arvo while it was fully closed ( the training has a few setting, fully open all the time, half open and then closed)

the Sussex light were still being spooked sunday morning so I had to leave it half open...

it is excellent - and once we go to the fully closed position where the weight of the bird opens the lid things will be sweet.

Have a look at it, think about it, do your sums.... it will stop all birds and rats - though rats may get the know how to have four or five stand on it at the one time don't know - we haven't got that problem..

This isn't an advert and I did pay full price. It is a product that solves my problem (though an expensive solution). I don't know grandpa other than the web site.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz