Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edible landscaping suggestions for upstate SC

Posted by scslim 7b (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 20:50

I am new to this forum and also new to gardening. I have a small house in the upstate of SC which has a small "flower bed" wrapping around the front of the house. The bed faces the NE and currently has numerous small shrubs. Over the past year, I have removed some of the shrubbery and have begun replacing them with edible yet somewhat ornamental varieties.

I currently have seven "Sunshine Blue" blueberries and two tea (Camellia sinensis) plants. I was looking for suggestions for another 10-15 edible plants that would look decent in front of the house. Most of the plants would need to be in the 3-6 ft range, although there are spaces where taller plants could fit.

Some of the options I had though about are:

some type of bush cherry
Goji berry
pineapple guava
northstar dwarf cherry

If anyone had any ideas for some suitable plants, I would appreciate the input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edible landscaping suggestions for upstate SC

Serviceberries are delightful small trees, and the fruits are ripening now, great fresh!!

There are some dwarf peach cultivars, 'NC State Dwarf Red' is one that makes a nice rounded tree of 5'x 5'.

Perhaps some muscadine grapes or a hybrid plum cultivar?

o
RE: Edible landscaping suggestions for upstate SC

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 15:15

Edible landscaping list some smaller forms of Kaki persimmon that might work. Some have nice fall color as an added bonus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here