Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
male and female rhubarb plants?

Posted by patsy2757 Ks. 5? (My Page) on
Mon, May 8, 06 at 23:26

I just purchased a rhubarb plant at our Farmers Market. The lady in front of me also bought one. She wanted a male plant, said she had a female one at home and needed a male to make more plants? She said the female plant have the flower and send up a bambo looking shoot? The males have the red stalks? Is she right. I've never heard of this but then I've never grown rhubarb before. The woman selling the plants said she'd never heard of it before and she's been selling and growing plants for years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: male and female rhubarb plants?

Your single rhubarb plant, given the right conditions, will make plenty of rhubarb.

I've never heard of gendered rhubarb plants, but I have heard of people who will say things in public just to confound other people.

The color of the stalk depends on the variety of rhubarb, and to a lesser degree, exposure to sun and perhaps soil composition.

Rhubarb flower stalks do not look like bamboo shoots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here