Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spindly Rhubarb

Posted by Stomber Wisconsin (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 23:57

My family loves rhubarb, but we can't get it to grow large enough to harvest in our yard. It's the strangest thing, since it seems to grow like a weed for everyone else. We've tried fertilizing, both liquid and manure, making sure the roots aren't too wet by putting them in a raised bed. This has been going on for something like 20 years. Neighbors down the road have lovely rhubarb. Has anyone heard of anything like this? Any ideas besides more fertilizer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spindly Rhubarb

Do you know what variety you have? How about asking the neighbours for a root of theirs? And have you talked to them about how they grow theirs? I had a less than impressive plant once but got a new one and it made all the difference. Unfortunately I don't know the name of my current variety.

Also rhubarb loves moisture so not sure a raised bed is helpful.

And do you keep planting new roots? Rhubarb can grow for years undisturbed.

o

Talk to your neighbors. It grows like a weed in my climate.
I shove a spade into my three 'mother' plants every spring..last few weeks recently...and give away corms to friends that want them. I've done that for 15 yrs. Never mulched, fertilized, or watered. Other conditions might need some care.
But if you see it in a neighbors yard, they know best.
Mock their conditions. You might be over-tending it.

o

I've tried growing it 2 or 3 times. You're not supposed to pick it til the 2nd or 3rd year. Mine looks good the first year, puny the second year, and not usually more than ankle high the third and final year of it's life. I just chalk it up to being too far south for it to survive the summer heat. But somebody having a similar problem up north makes me think it's something I'm doing/not doing. I'm in southeast Missouri in zone 7.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here