Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
preppystud

are all purslane edible?

preppystud
10 years ago

the ones that i buy at mexican stores seem to be big and green, wild purslane seem to have reddish color.

Comments (12)

• preppystud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

anyone?

• preppystud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

anyone?

• peavey
    10 years ago

All common purslane is edible, but there are many other purslanes that are not. Moss rose is one, for instance. The common weedy purslane can differ according to where and how it grows. I've never bought it, so I'm not sure about the big, green purslane from Mexican stores, but it's probably been watered, fertilized and cared for otherwise, to grow as large as it can. You can do the same with any that grows wild.

I've seen it with leaves an inch wide alongside irrigation ditches where it gets water as well as fertilizer runoff

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I bought some edible purslane seeds. I haven't planted any yet. I'd be afraid to eat anything that grows in my yard. Better safe than sorry!

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

The common wild purslane is perfectly edible, as Peavey mentioned. I am growing 'golden purslane' from a seed company, but I really can't tell the difference between wild varieties. Biggest difference is just water leading to more tender juicy plants.

There are ornamental purslanes, such as those with pink flowers, I'd probably stay away from eating those unless you have other info. But the common weeds, absolutely no worries there.

• flowersnow
    10 years ago

I have read from many different sources and watched several YouTube videos about purslane. I started eating mine and have really enjoyed it!

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

When grown in a garden bed and well watered it is an exceptionally productive, tasty and pest-free vegetable.

• greenman62
    10 years ago

i find the ones growing in my yard (wild) and transplant them, or weed around them, and add to salad.
    im not dead yet....
    Yep, the wild purslane has much smaller leaves, but perfectly safe

---
    Purslane just happens to contain alpha-linolenic acid, one of the highly sought-after Omega-3 fatty acids. Why pay money for fish oil when you can grow your own Omega-3 fatty acids as part of your edible landscaping?
    http://landscaping.about.com/cs/weedsdiseases/a/purslane.htm

• ilokanaako
    8 years ago

I have started rescuing purslane from walkways and cracks in the garden. I do transplant into my small veggie garden. Also, started adding purslane leaves to my smoothie. Additionally, I sprinkle purslane leaves into my green salad. These leaves are from my rescued plants. I do have the flowering type which I bought from the garden store, Calloway, but have not tried eating the leaves as they look different from the wild ones. They have nice flowers red, yellow and pink all in one pot so I grab that one.

• gthomson910 - Zone 10a/9b - Corona, Ca, US
    8 years ago

Does anybody know if the Rock Purslane is edible? It does have magenta flowers, and above somebody said stay away from the pink flowers. I like it as a potential ornamental, and if edible then even better. But I haven't come across anything yet that said if it is.

• Crazy Nate
    6 years ago

Oxalic acid is only dangerous is large quantities according to mother earth news

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida