Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inexpensive/ Reliable PH Tester HELP!

Posted by urbngrdnr none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 2:42

Would anyone happen to know of an inexpensive and reliable ph tester? Something that's UNDER $40 (although $20 would be better!) & preferably semi-convenient to find? Or is that just asking for too much?

I'm pretty new to gardening and Home Depot & Lowes carry ph testers that have nothing but bad reviews; at least the reviews I've read so far.

PLEASE HELP!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inexpensive/ Reliable PH Tester HELP!

I picked up mine in the garden center. You can get one-off kits for about $3 or one with 10 tests for about $7.

These are straightforward "litmus" testing kits, nothing high tech. Plants aren't so fussy that you need to worry about decimal places.

look for something like this:

http://chiotsrun.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/ph-testing-kit.jpg

o

Use pH paper like USDA soil conservation service does with small increments between numbers.

o

I wish there was a nice easy push button tester accurate to at least .25 PH, requiring no maintenance for under say $100. It sounds like that doesn't exist, and the best cheap PH tester seems to be the old school, limited reliability litmus strips or similar chemical color tests.

I just want something to monitor my blueberry's soil PH. I already know the original soil composition from multiple area's on my property, so PH is all I care about.

Is there any better alternative?

o

+1 on this... I have been looking for a while as well, all the cheap probe testers I have seen suck. I want this for blueberry as well as many other plants. It doesn't have to be into the decimal place, but close to it. I mean the difference in 4.1 vs 5 is noticeable, but 4.1 to 7.6 is huge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here