Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you split Rhubarb like hostas?

Posted by srj19 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 3:28

I have one rhubarb plant and I'd like to have more, I bought some root stock but it was kind of old and only one had any growth. Can I split the one I have once or more and get multiple plants?

If not how do you propogate rhubarb?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you split Rhubarb like hostas?

Rhubarb is easily divided - probaby best done in spring or early fall, but if you have a large plant you could divide now and keep the transplanted tubers well watered. I would just leave the parent plant in the ground and spade out a side tuber. The new plant probably won't give you too much production this year, but next year it should do great.

Some people grow it from seed but that is more difficult.

Also, to improve yield you can prune off the central flowering stalk when you see that coming up.
Rachel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here