Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

poison ivy growin in grape vine

Posted by ron4x4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 9:13

I have a large grape vine and noticed the other day that there is a lot of poison growing up under it and up the poles. What is the best way to get rid of the poison with out hurting the vine? I've read of different sprays like round up but I'm affraid to that would kill the vine. Also will the grapes be safe to consume with the poison growing all around it? Not sure if the could be infected with the poison.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: poison ivy growin in grape vine

My sister had poison ivy at her house. I got it three years in a row. That is what you get for helping her clean out her flower beds. She use Ortho Max poison ivy killer in the spray bottle. Got to love a spray bottle! It killed most of it the first year she sprayed it and the rest the next year. To be on the safe side and you think you have touched your skin against the poison ivy, pick up Tecnu Extreme poison ivy scrub.

RE: poison ivy growin in grape vine

First you will not kill poison Ivy with Roundup. Probably the only way you can be sure of killing it is put something such as a disposable rain coat or poncho as well as gloves. You will need a large zip lock freezer strength bag and Stump Killer. Take the poison Ivy vine and put all of it you can into the bag and add the stump killer. Zip up the bag and leave it and let the vine drink all it will until it dies. It will drink until this happens. Roundup isn't strong enough for any hardy vine. You can kill most any tree more or less the same way only you have to bore a hole with a downward slant and place a piece of PVC of equal size into the hole and fill with stump killer and cover with a cap to prevent evaporation. After using the raincoat or poncho they need to be thrown away as all the air borne poison off the poison Ivy. You should also take a bath VERY soon after this operation to help prevent having a large break out of poison Ivy.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here