Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries

Posted by Zonetrap z8TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 04 at 9:14

I have 1 ONeal and 1 Ozark. Both are growing well. But I have noticed on the new leaves, some have rusty looking patches. Anyone know what this could be? Prevent it?

Also, I would like to feed the plants a good organic fertilizer. Anyone know of any for blueberries?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries

Is your soil acid enough? "Holly Tone" or aluminum sulfate are good fertilizers, but don't overdue it. Good Luck!

o

Look at the FRUIT AND ORCHARDS forum for further info on blueberries.

o

Bet organic fertilizer I've found is compost. Shovel on a few inches and cover with pine needles to keep the Ph on the acid side. Replenish the pine straw as needed.

I grow 'Sunshine Blue' and 'Climax', Sunshine is smaller and sweet-tart, climax is larger and very sweet.

o

Holly Tone fertilizer works well and will help keep the soil acid.

o

• Posted by tjay 9 Sac vlly Ca (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 10, 04 at 13:18

request for info:
I live in the Sacramento valley where summers can get into triple digits 40 days a year. I usually lose a plant a week to total burn. Which are the most heat tolerant varieties of the southern highbush with chill requirements around 500 hours of 45 F. We don't get real cold....in the 25 years I've been here maybe a couple of days @ 17 F but usually high 20's. I'd appreciate any real experience but will ponder opinion. Thanks, tejay

o

Also post in the FRUIT AND ORCHARDS forum. Many people discuss blueberries there.

o

Hi,
Ilive in the Sacramento Valley where summertime tempertures can get up to 114 F. We had one summer with 43 days of triple digits. I'm looking for blueberry varieties that are heat tolerant with chill requirements around 500 hours. I generally lose a plant a week to burn in the summer and I replace it with another variety...trial and error...any real experience will be appreciated, thanx

Here is a link that might be useful: fruit and orchard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here