Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

Looking for ideas

alabamanicole
16 years ago

I am looking for a couple of ideas for landscaping around my new house.

One is for a small tree (up to about 12' in height) for a protected courtyard area on the NE corner of the house where the house forms an "L" and the north and eat sides have an 8' fence. However it still gets lots of sun in the summer. I have a tiny (for now) bay tree in the courtyard already and would like something fruiting. This tree will be irrigated and is in an area where can get lots of attention if needed, and something marginal for the area may work since it's protected and can easily be covered in extreme cold weather. No pesticides or other toxic chemicals at all can be permitted in the area. It doesn't need to be a true tree, but I want to be able to train it to a tree shape at the very least with branching 3-4' from the ground.

The second idea I need is for a small evergreen shrub, up to a maximum of 2' in height (preferably about 18"), to make a low edible hedge to edge the driveway. It will get full, blistering Alabama sun and will never get watered once established. Well, actually it will be mostly ignored from a care standpoint except for some seasonal trimming/training/etc. It's doesn't need to be a tiny shrub; any evergreen edible which meets the criteria will do, as long as it doesn't trail or send out runners or otherwise misbehave too much.

My soil is clay with a neutral pH and has low phosphorus but is otherwise balanced.

Any ideas appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery