Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good place to buy cranberry?

Posted by emcd124 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 11:57

I'm increasingly interested in edible landscaping, and gradually transforming the landscape we inherited when we bought our home last year into one with more edible elements. I'm interested in putting in some cranberries or lingonberries. I am hoping for three kinds of feedback:

1. A good source to buy from. I'd like to put some in still this year, but I'm running out of time for Zone 5. Indiana Berry is all sold out for the year, so I wondered if folks could recommend another good company to order from, or convince me its already too late for this year.

2. From folks who grew either or both, I'm wondering how difficult they are. I'm really hoping for something that mostly cares for itself once established. We have in ground sprinklers for watering during dry spells, so that shouldnt be an issue. But I want to stay away from plants like blueberries, which just sound notoriously fickle about growing. I want a nice hardy, robust plant with a will to live. Which of these options best fits that bill?

3. Any particular favorite varieties of cranberry you would recommend growing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good place to buy cranberry?

Johnny's in Albion, Maine is probably your best bet. I got mine from them. The plants are more expensive, but significantly larger than the starter size you will get from most nurseries. If you buy a dozen, the price per plant drops a bit from the single plant price.

LOL, though, I don't know why you have the impression that blueberries are difficult. You must make sure your soil is sufficiently acid, other than that, they are among the easiest of any fruit crop to grow and one of the most reliable.

o

I meant to include link for your convenience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stevens Cranberry at Johnny's

o

Do you really want cranberry? I'm going with viburnum trilobum (Red Wing and Wentworth.) They are said to taste just like cranberry, but product more, grow larger (there is a compact version), and be less picky about soil conditions.

My local nursery sells four cultivars of viburnum trilobum. 7 gallon plants for $30-50, sounds better than small stick plants for $10-20.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here