Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edible Underplantings for Potted Fruit Trees/Bushes/Vines

Posted by lawanddisorder 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 12:07

I have about 25 potted fruit trees/bushes/vines and was wondering if you guys thought it would be wise, and not harmful to the plants, to underplant taller fruit trees/vines/bushes with herbs or other low lying plants?
I'd be underplanting apples, peaches, pears, necarines, plums, figs, grapes, kiwi vines, apricots, mullberry, and maybe a few berry bushes, too.
My first thought was strawberries, but that would attract even more squirrels which are already very problematic.

Does anyone know of any specific plants, preferably herbs or something edible, that would work well as an underplanting for my fruit plants? I don't really care if the conditions aren't perfect for the underplantings, but I do care very much that the fruit plants won't be overstressed by competing for nutrients, root space, etc.

I am training the fruit trees into espalier form, so the underplantings should receive sufficient sun light.

Maybe having two competing plants in one pot is a bad idea all together?

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edible Underplantings for Potted Fruit Trees/Bushes/Vines

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you keep an eye on the nutrients.

Prostrate rosemary, chocolate mint - almost any low growing or spreading herb or vegetable should work, really. Just make sure that you don't plant an acid loving tree or bush with an alkaline loving herb, fruit or veggie, and you should be good to go. Other than that, it's just a matter of what you like and how much you like it.

In our garden, we've planted mint, asparagus, herbs and strawberries under our mulched and open/vase shaped fruit trees. So far, they all seem to get along and like it very much.

o

I read about planting mints under apple trees in a companion planting rag once and both my apple tree and mint did very well last year. I don't know if it is because they were great companions or just because they had good soil, etc.
but I'd check in a companion planting book and see what is supposed to be most beneficial cross referenced to what you like of course.

o

What about peas and beans? They fix nitrogen and nourish the soil.

o

Understory plantings will compete with potted trees, but they may still be desirable for a number of reasons, including:

aesthetics
weed suppression
nitrogen fixation
multiple yields, rather than single yield
attract beneficial insects

Mint aggressively commandeers water supply and can quickly take over a pot, so would not be my first choice.

I have purslane growing under moringa and have to cut back the purslane regularly, or the moringa starts to show stress.

I've grown malabar spinach as a vine up small trees with no problems.

Chives, strawberries, clover, oregano would be my first choices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here