Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redneck_grower

Showy as well as edible: What are your favorites?

redneck_grower
15 years ago

On another forum, someone wondered why anyone would EVER grow a fruit tree/shrub/etc. as a foliage or flowering plant, opining that fruting species are not typically ornamental. I beg to differ! What are your favorites?

I like a bunch, but the following are some of my favorites:

Feijoa sellowiana (pineapple guava) for the flowers.

Ficus carica (fig), Vitis sp. (grape), and Eriobotrya japonica (loquat), for their foliage.

You?

Comments (9)

• Ann
    15 years ago

My persimmon is gorgeous!!

Ann

• nick123
    15 years ago

Dogwoods, such as kousa and cornelian cherry.
    Viburnums, such as high bush cranberry.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Crabapples and regular apples. What would spring time be without appleblossoms?

• marbles_n_the_garden
    15 years ago

For me, some of the edibles ARE the most beautiful ornamental plants.

• ktagliam
    15 years ago

Rhubarb is very pretty.

Sour cherries are also pretty, especially when it fruits

Serviceberry is amazing...gorgeous and the best pie I ever made... but good luck beating the birds to the fruit.

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

My apple tree is gorgeous. It's been around for twenty years and it's thrived.

In the spring it suddenly explodes into bloom, and life, making everything look exciting and new.

In the summer, the apples show little light green contrast with the dark green leaves, making the tree look shimmer and in depth.

And in the fall the red and green molted apples hang heavy like chistmas balls, showing against the browning leaves, promising new life.

And in the winter, the well pruned branches are stark and grey, but pointed upwards, looking slightly sinister, as the apple tree sleeps.

Fruit trees are beautiful, but you have to be patient. They don't pay off immediately. You have to wait for them to grow into it. They are so beautiful once they are good and healthy and strong. I was spoiled--my fruit tree was already here when I arrived. But I am planting a pear tree, and I'm willing to be patient. *smiles*

I always thought my ground cherries were pretty, with their little bell-like flowers, being shielded by huge leaves.

• fruithack
    15 years ago

Pomegranate: amazing show of red and yellow flowers, then ornamental red fruits, all on an attractive tree or bush. Downside is that leaves drop in fall. Second choice is pineapple guava. Glenora grape for it's beautiful red fall colors. Fig is just a really exotic looking tree. Peaches for their outrageous pink blossoms.

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

20 Grape Vines of 5 varieites
    12 different varieties of Fig
    5 different Elderberry
    4 varities of Currants
    3 varieties of high-bush Blueberry
    1 Compact Stella, & 1 Governor Wood Cherry tree

No partridge, no pear tree... But a Jack Russel and a Beagle (Both are retired "detector dogs".)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Sunflowers!

Corn - in a clump, not rows - is an "ornamental" if you want something tall ASAP.

Cabbages and kales come in really cool purples & reds.

I got some swiss chard seeds because the beautiful stems on the package caught my eye. I will probably try them to eat, but their primary function will be ornamental.

Pecan trees are beautiful.

I think a chain link fence looks much more interesting with tomatoes, beans, zucchini - something clinging to it than totally naked.