Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eating Nasturtium

Posted by mattjjd24 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 12:23

So I'm growing some nasturtium which is doing very well. I tasted a leaf... not sure I liked it so much. I wondered what were a few favorite ways people had to eat it. there are plenty of recipies on the internet, but I figured this would be the best place to find people who really know what they are talking about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eating Nasturtium

They look beautiful in salads - both leaves and flowers. I love radishes, so the taste of nasturtiums is welcomed by me. My family enjoys mostly "presentation".

o

try putting them in a sandwich with smoked mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, rosemary, and olive oil balsamic vinaigrette! (most ingredients from the garden, if possible!)
Ann

o

Nasturtium petals make a very colorful and tasty pesto. The recipe was in the LA Times Food section a few years back - from a market farmer (in an article on LA area farmers markets).

o

I like to just eat them while I'm in the garden. I also really like them in an egg salad sandwich in place of watercress.

o

You can pickle the green seeds as a caper substitute. The leaves are nice rolled around a blob of any soft cheese.

o

It has a peppery radish taste. That's why it is used mostly as an garnish and to jazz up a blander dish. Not usually eaten plain on its own. I once went to a party where nasturtium flowers were served with a cream cheese/chive mixture piped into the flowers. Yum!

o

For the leaves, any way that you would use watercress (if you would use watercress). The whole leaves can also be used in place of lettuce underneath something, preferably something small enough for the shape of the leaves to show.

The garden nasturtium is native to the Americas, and its botanical name is Tropaeolum, while the botanical name Nasturtium refers to a different European genus. Nasturtium officinale is the common watercress, and I think that Tropaeolum came to be called nasturtium because of the similarity in taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here