Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kale - and friends

Posted by ConsiderThis New Mexico (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 14:24

I loved that my kale burst into flower this spring. I was glad I hadn't pulled up the old stalks last fall.

I was also glad when the aphids it attracted, attracted ladybugs.

I was putting my dish water out on the bottoms of the kale plants, not trying to get rid of the aphids, rather, trying to use all my water since I'm here in the very dry Southwest.

But... all of a sudden there were a lot fewer ladybugs.

So, I think that they must spend some time on the ground level part of the plants. Maybe that's where they lay their eggs???

I've stopped putting soapy water anywhere near the kale, and it does seem like there's a gentle increase in ladybird numbers.

Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing???

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here