Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhubarb : How much water does it need?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 14:31

I have a few other questions too. I know it prefers full sun. The variety is Valentine.

What is a typical diameter? My parents grew it but they had acres and I have only a suburban yard: I don’t recall how big they really get. This plant is in a gallon pot, and is leafing out and growing like crazy since I bought it 2 weeks ago, so it already looks pretty big to me. I could plant it in my main flower garden (raised bed) but I don’t know if it will gobble up territory.

I have been thinking those big lush leaves must mean it needs a lot of water. In the main garden it will get plenty of water, but have some dappled shade for part of the afternoon. I have an alternative location, where it could grow as wide as it wants, and look great with the other things: it gets more sun but it is hard to get the hose over there.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhubarb : How much water does it need?

I acquired a garden that had been tended for decades by someone who moved away and there are bunch of left over rhubarb plants that are very healthy and I never water them. Not once. I'm sure they get some runoff from when I water stuff I've planted near them, but no direct watering by me. My biggest one is maybe 40 inches in diameter and about the same height. - no idea what variety... or what to do with them for that matter.

What to do you like to do with your rhubarb? I hear they are good in pies. All I've done with mine is munched on the stalks to verify they were actually rhubarb.

o

My grandparents grew it, and then my parents, when they took over the house. We never made it into pies. We just cut it up, boiled it with water and sugar, til it was an applesauce consistency. Then just ate it like that. It could be served over pound cake or angel food cake if you needed to dress it up. My Danish grandmother prepared a lot of fruits the same way. She called it “cram”. As in, “Blackberry cram”, or “Rhubarb cram.” I have so idea what cram means…but I’m guessing sauce. I don’t have a recipe: when I finally have some to harvest, I’ll wing it.

o

Rhubarb is good in lots of things. In fact, there are a number of cookbooks out there specifically devoted to the many ways you can cook it. Here is a link to some prize-winning recipes from the Lanesboro, Minnesota annual rhubarb festival. I haven't tried these particular recipes myself, but I assume they must be good if they won prizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb Festival Recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here