Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nasturtiums failing to thrive

Posted by Cimstar Z6 ID (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 04 at 15:16

My young nasts (about 5-6 inch stems w/ 10-15 leaves) are suffering from an unknown malady. The leaves, particulary the largest ones, are browing from the edges in. They're potted in regular potting soil, moist but not soaked, in full sun. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nasturtiums failing to thrive

You have posted this to the "edible" forum.

o

Yep. Because I grow them for salads.

Didn't think I was the only one.

o

still too wet, or the soil is too rich for them... I have mine growing in a dead zone about the depth of a single brick between my walkway and my neighbors, and they're growing like gangbusters...

they like the same conditions that sedums and stonecrops prefer...miserable.

and yes, they're very edible...watercress is actually a variety of nasturtiums.

o

Thanks, Chinacat. I was wondering if the soil was too rich -- was hoping that, while young, they'll deplete the soil sufficiently to keep them flowering later. Maybe it didn't work. Hmm.

o

Down here in South Texas, where we have very high temperatures and humidity in the summer, nasturtiums will not survive. The just wilt away, but they will come back in the fall. We refer to them as a cool weather herb, and plant them for the winter months since we seldom get a freeze. Is it possible that you have had a extremely hot summer? And yes, they are very wonderful in salads and even on cold meat sandwiches. And try them as a garnish on a salad plate for dinner party and hear all the comments.

o

• Posted by Chills 6b (??) Mi (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 21, 04 at 10:48

Mine are in very sandy raised beds and though I didn't plant any this year (saw two volunteers in the spring, a dozen more showed up later) I have about 3' x 12' of other herbs trying to fight through pillows of Nasturtiums. (12" deep at this point)

Way more than I can eat. I'm hoping the purslane I planted does that next year (I like it more than the Nasturtiums)

~Chills

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here