Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dandelion greens, should I fertilize?

Posted by wertach 7 SC (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 11 at 15:25

I love fresh dandelion greens in the spring. My front yard is almost dandelion free. I dig them up as soon as I see them. The back yard has some dandelions growing in the corner next to the woods and I keep them mowed before they seed.

I'm thinking about fertilizing them so I will get more tender greens in the spring. I'm thinking that as long as I keep them mowed before they seed they won't spread.

Good idea or bad? I don't want them to take over! When to fertilize? 10-10-10?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dandelion greens, should I fertilize?

Sure. They only spread by seed, so if they aren't allowed to flower and make the seed balls, they won't multiply. Fertilizing will definitely make lusher, fuller plants with better greens. I'd suggest a late summer/early fall application, and another very very early in the spring when they first start to show signs of life.

Also, if you REALLY like them, you might want to invest in a package of seed of one of the improved French or Italian varieties. I bought a package of Italian ones off the Thompson and Morgan seed rack a few years back at a local garden center, and there is a tremendous difference in size and leaf quality versus the wild ones. Of course, I also have found that the local rabbits recognize this, as they eat these and don't seem to touch the wild ones growing as weeds 15 feet away.

The link below is one I found for the same kind I have, "Tarassacco' I've ordered from this company before with good success, they have some neat things.

By the way, these are true dandelions (the perennial with yellow flowers) NOT 'Italian Dandelion' the more common vegetable, which is a actually a chicory (biennial, blue flowers).

Here is a link that might be useful: Cultivated Italian Dandelion at Gourmet Seeds International

o
RE: Dandelion greens, should I fertilize?

Dandelion greens is a spring tonic and tasty green. Especially in spring time when dandelion leaves are young less bitter. Italian and Amish people has been eating dandelion greens for years. I read somewhere said it help purify blood and detox liver. It also very nutrious.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here