Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a grapevine?

Posted by pixiesmama Z5 IN (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 15:59

Earlier today, I discovered several huge mulberry bushes (trees, really) along a border in the parking lot behind my house. Upon further inspection, I found what I thought might also be a grapevine. The leaves look very similar to a grape plant that my daugher chose earlier this year. Now, I just might be crazy and reaching really far on this grape thing, but given that there are mulberry bushes there, I thought it might not be too far fetched to believe that these are grapes. The twiny twigs seemed like a dead give-away to me, let alone the little clusters of what appear to be grapes... Anyone have any idea?

Leaf with some curly cues.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Grape Cluster?

Thanks for any help!
Meagan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a grapevine?

Looks just like the grape vines I have growing in my garden

o
RE: Is this a grapevine?

yep. its a grape vine with edible grapes (although they arent ripe yet). wild grape vines are common throughout the south eastern united states. in addition to eating the fruit. in mid spring if you chop the vine in half, watery sap will pour from the stem. you can drink the sap (doesnt taste too bad) to stay hydrated. good to know if you are ever lost in the woods and need fresh clean/safe drinking water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here