Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allgr8dogs

Edible landscapers from Phoenix, Arizona

allgr8dogs
20 years ago

Hi,

Are there any other edible landscapers from Phoenix, Arizona? Anyone growing Horse Radish or Vegetable trees?

Jackie

Comments (13)

• dirt_dew
    20 years ago

I have grown horseradish root off and on for years. I usually eat only the leaves. They are good in a sandwich like lettuce, in salads, or as cooked greeens. They are very good in soups/stews or roasts.

• carol_the_dabbler
    20 years ago

Dirt Dew -- How in the world do you grow horseradish "off and on"? I would like to grow it, but would use only a little, and had heard that it grows like a weed and is well-nigh impossible to get rid of. Your idea of using the leaves in sandwiches (or salads, I assume) sounds great! Now if you can just tell me how to keep the plant from taking over my garden....

• dirt_dew
    20 years ago

Carol
    Horseradish prefers a colder climate. It is stressed by the heat and drought here. The leaves can totally dehydrate in direct summer sun in a few hours. It is beautiful all winter but no problem to control.

• carol_the_dabbler
    20 years ago

Rats. I was hoping you had some secret for controlling the stuff. Well, I guess you do, but I'd rather not have to move a couple thousand miles just to grow horseradish!

I was just reading the horseradish section in an herb book, which recommended growing it inside a root barrier. Maybe I'll try removing the bottom from a 5-gallon bucket, sinking that in the soil, and planting the horseradish in there. If all I wanted was some grated root, I could just buy that -- it takes me *ages* to go through a small jar -- but I really like your idea of eating the leaves.

• dirt_dew
    20 years ago

Carol
    Your bottomless bucket should work fine! You don't even need to sink it if you don't want. Just set it in place and fill it around the root, a mini raised bed, and easy to move if you want. Good luck!! Oh, if you decide to move here, you might want to wait. We're having a cold spell, expecting 68°F today. :-)

• carol_the_dabbler
    20 years ago

Thanks for the advice, Dirt Dew.

Oddly enough, I don't really envy you that weather (well, maybe just a *little* on blustery days like this). We lived in southern California for a couple of years, where they don't even *have* weather (just a climate). It's very pleasant, but we found the lack of seasons disorienting, and finally moved back to our native planet.

Now all you folks from Phoenix can have this thread back!

• allgr8dogs
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi dirt_dew,
    what I meant was the Moringa oleifera tree, also known as the Horseradish tree, Drumstick tree, Vegetable tree, etc... The leaves, seedpods (known as drumsticks), and roots are all edible. The roots of young trees, which are grated up and pickled, are said to have a horseradish flavor. I have started growning them, and have so far eaten leaves. I hope to have the drumsticks (seed pods)this summer, and have never tried the roots. Where in AZ do you live? I live in Phoenix.

• eileenaz
    20 years ago

I've never heard of that tree- gotta look it up, does it grow in AZ?

• dirt_dew
    20 years ago

Hi Jackie Moringa Seed!
    Sorry to take so long to answer. I have just been studying a little of this tree and it sounds very interesting. I, too, am in Phoenix. How is your crop doing? Did they freeze back? Is now the best time to start them here? I will be doing further searches on the net. I want to learn more. It sounds like they will thrive where the castor bean grows. Is moringa more cold tolerant as it matures?

• estemat
    19 years ago

Hi dirt dew, will you be able to sell me moringa leaves for cooking? I live in California. Please let me know. Thanks My email. artquest@pacbell.net.

• gardenalive
    19 years ago

Ah Moringa, Mo Rin Ga you are my tree of life. You bring health and happiness to one suffice. You say no to pills, but say yes to nature. What more can I say Mo Rin Ga Mo Rin Ga you go ya!

• allgr8dogs
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey Dirtdew,
    Sorry I haven't checked back for so long - yes my Moringa froze to the ground. Then last summer it grew back with two trunks. It didn't seem to be bothered by the frost, although my Angels Trumpet got bit pretty good.

Jackie

• planthappy2
    15 years ago

i bot jobs tears, hyssop, costus to grow. anyone grow these?

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022